Brief History of the Nébout Farmhouse
The building of today’s farmhouse figured entirely on the Napoleon Cadastre of 1826. However, this document shows another building that closed the angle of the two existing wings; unfortunately it was demolished long ago and it is said that demolition materials served for building the adjacent ‘Little Nébout’Yet, when examining the structure and its continuous extensions in detail the conviction arises that the original house must be much older.
The house was clearly built as a master’s mansion which is a rather surprising feature for its period. Some of its characteristics can be found in the ‘Hôtels’, the city palaces of the rich in the centre of Toulouse: a monumental chimney on the first floor, beams and counter beams with well inwardly rounded edges, ceilings painted in pastel, floors with terra cotta tiles.Even more surprising is the balcony that opened up eastward and its interior wall with a window divided into four parts by a wooden cross – and, of course, its now interior half timbered wall rediscovered in 1989 in the course of renovation work.All this is very surprising indeed, since the surroundings at that time were nothing but marshland, and 15 km- about a day’s journey – from the city of Toulouse. Who was this master that gave order to build such a mansion at such an odd place asking to orient it north-east to south-west contrary to all local rural customs (houses looked southwards and were always closed towards the north-east) Around 1900 the new owner altered the building profoundly: the balcony was closed, a new staircase built, access swapped from east to west, new rooms were designed my means of new hard plaster walls, the monumental chimney was hidden behind a brick wall and new more modern chimneys built that had marble framings. All is finished in plaster to do away with the original red brick walls and all the dust and to get smooth surfaced walls that can carry wall carpets and other ornaments. The apartment is designed to give room to assisting servants. The commanding iron lines that rang the bells to all them were still visible a few years ago. This owner of the early 20th century held the story of a wealthy businessman who had made his fortune in iron work. So it might be due to him that there are a rather incredible number of iron portals around the Nébout.
Today’s inhabitants still enjoy the variety of possible entrances to the different parts of the building. In 1952 an Italian family took over the Nébout farmhouse. One of their five sons stayed as its farmer.In 1983 Bernard Garros, young farmer of the village, bought the house and is still tilling the 105 hectares (growing corn) today.